"If you’re looking for a healthier or allergy free alternative to seasonal desserts for Thanksgiving or holiday festivities, this Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread is my top recommendation. It also makes a fantastic breakfast, snack or clean dessert anytime you’re craving something sweet, spicy and nourishing. If you’re in the mood to bake this weekend (bonus: it makes your home smell amazing!), fix yourself a delicious chai latte, haul out your mixing bowls and throw on your coziest sweater — I have just the recipe!"
1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk it’s very important that you use full fat coconut milk since we’re not using any oil!
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Cloud 9 Gluten free baking mix make sure it includes xantham gum!
1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Grease 1 standard loaf pan with melted coconut oil and set aside.
- Then, cook your sweet potato. For a super quick method, dice sweet potato into 1″ pieces and add it to a microwave safe bowl. Fill the bowl with water, covering the potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high heat for 10 minutes. Strain the potatoes and allow to cool for 5 minutes before mashing (you can pop them into the fridge if you like to cool them faster — you don’t want to scramble the eggs!).
- Add eggs, coconut milk and vanilla extract to the mashed sweet potatoes. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, stirring to combine thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 65 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out of the centre of the loaf mostly clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing from that pan and transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Once partially cooled, slice and serve immediately.
Note: My Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread freezes very well! I like to wrap it in aluminum foil, then seal it in a Ziplock bag before popping it into the freezer.